Botswana

Namibia: Ndf Deployed in Wrong Places – Sampofu

The Namibian Defense Force (NDF) has been deployed to protect the border between Namibia and Botswana in the wrong places.

This is according to Zambezi Governor Lawrence Sampovo.

The National Defense Force was deployed to the border in December last year after an incident in which the Botswana Defense Force killed three brothers and their cousin in Chobe River on November 5.

On Tuesday, in his address to the state of the region, the governor said that the forces are currently stationed in the regions of Kasika, Nujoma, Kabani, Mbalagoi and Mbabazi.

He added, “They were supposed to spread in areas [indicated] by the traditional authorities, but because of the wetlands during the rainy season, which could not be traversed by their heavy trucks, they went on to spread to areas not specified by the traditional chiefs.”

He said that the people living along the Chobe, Linanti and Kuandu rivers “live under constant threat, harassment, fear, intimidation and killing, and these activities are condemned and unacceptable.”

Sampovo said 37 Namibians have lost their lives since independence along the border.

“This remains a serious challenge with our neighbor Botswana,” he said.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister Ntombo Nandi Ndayitwa is expected to host a series of meetings with Botswana’s Minister of International Affairs, Limojang Kwabe, in Kasane and Katima Mulilo from tomorrow until Saturday.

The two will also hold consultative meetings with representatives of the traditional authorities of the Zambezi region, the governor and regional advisors.

The meetings are said to be speaking to communities in the border areas where last year’s deadly shootings occurred.

The joint investigation report on the accident is expected to be high on the agenda.

This report has not yet been made public.

President Haji Geingob, when he visited the family of shooting victims, the Nchindo brothers promised, in Imbalila in April, that the government would consider granting the family’s request to view the contents of the report.

Family spokesman Owen Simvola confirmed that the family is still waiting for State House to provide them with a date when they can view the report.