Nigeria

NANS suspends June 12 protests and moves away from ‘Buhari-must-go’ campaign – Punch Newspapers

The National Association of Nigerian Students has called off a nationwide protest scheduled for June 12, Punch learned.

NANS President Bazar Asefon said in a statement on Friday morning.

‘NANS suspends June 12 protests over protesters’ safety and fears of possible kidnapping of politicians – Comrade Bazar Asefon’

According to the president of NANS, the planned protest was aimed at undermining the credibility of the country, especially the consistent abduction of students.

However, Asefon said that some politicians with “different agendas” have developed plans to kidnap protesters in order to “air their political views and thoughts.”

He said the students’ bodies were not linked to a separation campaign or the ‘Bukhari-must-go’ campaign planned by some politicians and activists on Saturday.

“Given the current security realities and the threat to the lives of our members in the event of a planned protest, I, in consultation with all NANS structures, declare that our proposed protest has been suspended for June,” he said. 12.

“The cessation of protests is necessary to prevent a conflict of interest and to prevent a confrontation with the security forces, which are ready to protect the nation’s infrastructure from security breaches on the proposed date as a result of many other historic protests.”

“We intend to protest for better safety and improved well-being for our students, so we should not risk the lives of any of our complainants.”

Asefon later said the protest had not been canceled, but had been postponed, adding that a new date would be announced for the demonstration.

مقالات ذات صلة

اترك تعليقاً

لن يتم نشر عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني. الحقول الإلزامية مشار إليها بـ *

زر الذهاب إلى الأعلى